ICEC just concluded Soil Game Jam!
Early 2021, Iowa student teams in grades 3-8 were challenged to develop games that focused on learning about soil. Teams were encouraged to incorporate field investigation data and observations and online data resources into their game idea. Game development on a specific topic helps inspire curiosity, creativity, collaboration, optimism, and problem-solving skills.
Soil Game Jam was sponsored by the Iowa Conservation Education Coalition with support from the Iowa DNR and the Iowa Project WILD office. The competition allowed students to design analog games (card games, board games, role-playing games) or digital games for their target audience.
35 teams of 117 students developed games and submitted a game description with a 4-minute video to describe the elements of their game. A panel of judges with soils and / or game development experience judged the games by age group and game type.
All participants were invited to the Soil Game Jam Awards Presentation and Ceremony on April 7, 2021, to celebrate their hard work and to honor the top teams in each category. The student teams were supported by their classroom teachers, parents, and other adults. Thanks to all the educators and judges.
Below are the Honorees by category (Game title, student names, school):
Grades 3-5 Digital
1. Jurassic Jam by Hunter H, Nevada Middle School
Grades 3-5 Analog
1. Super Soil by Lucas and Dominic, Decorah Home School Assistance Program
2. Soil by Czandrya, Charli, and McKenna, Sidney Elementary
3. Build a Plant by Hailey G, Nevada Middle School
3. Worms Go Down the Stream by Kinsley, Alexander, Aniyah, Jaslyn, Legyn, Cedar River Academy at Taylor
Honorable Mention to Wheel of Soil by Keegan, Addison, Natalie, and Kesler, Edgewood-Colesburg Elementary School.
Grades 6-8 Digital
1. Cowgirl Soil Park Rangers by Myler, Adysen, Audrey, Hayden, and Maddy, Sidney Elementary
2. Soil Sim by Kane, Will, Logan, and Carter, Sidney Elementary
Grades 6-8 Analog
1. Farming Fun by Isaiah and Eston, Decorah Home School Assistance Program