Iowa Core Science Standards
The gist of the new standards is that students will shift from “learning about” to “figuring out” scientific concepts and or solving problems. This statement should be guiding all we do…
As a follow-up to Winter Workshop 2016 and all we learned about improving our conservation outreach using the proven ways all folks learn science, documents and links will be added to help you adapt your program content!
- Bookmark to help us get started. PDF of four bookmarks designed to print on 11×17 paper.
- Beetles provides three types of resources for field instructors: Student activity guides, how-to videos for select student activities, and additional instructor support materials. Sign up on their mailing list to find out when they post new stuff!
- The NextGenScience website is a great resource. Iowa standards are based upon these standards. Iowa Board of Education adopted the performance expectations
- From the National Wildlife Federation blog! Six key reasons the new Next Generation Science Standards are great news for environmental education – look at numbers 4 and 6!
Winter Workshop 2017
ICEC is supporting an effort to align and enhance programs of naturalists and other non-formal educators so these programs will directly support the new grade specific standards. Last summer (2016), groups of naturalists, teachers, and Area Education Agency (AEA) science consultants collaborated to develop examples of this work. This work was shared at Spreading our Wings with Science Standards, our ICEC 2017 winter workshop. Documents developed through these workdays and the Winter Workshop are housed here!
- Tips for Non-formal Science Educators Working with Classroom Teachers – Adapted from the New Jersey Students Learning Standards for Science by Phyllis Anderson!
Demonstration Models including Enviroscape, Stream Table, and Groundwater Models may be available near you in Iowa. Check the My County Parks website for your nearest county conservation board naturalist to see if they have materials to borrow!